Bowral Dermatology’s team of highly skilled medical specialists is led by Dr Derek Davies, a specialist in Mohs Surgery. Mohs is a highly advanced skin cancer procedure that minimises the damage to healthy tissue, has the highest success rate and means you get the results of your skin cancer treatment on the day.
Mohs surgery is an accurate and precise surgical procedure on the two most common skin cancers, Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC) and Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC). This ground breaking technique means;
No more nervous waiting periods. You find out during the day if the all the cancer has been removed.
- No more nervous waiting periods. You find out during the day if the all the cancer has been removed.
- An increased likelihood of a cure that reduces the need for additional treatment such as radiotherapy.
- It is precise and accurate, meaning that less healthy tissue is removed which results in less scarring.
How does Mohs work?
Mohs is a precise and accurate form of surgery that allows the dermatologist to cut away
- Process uses horizontal frozen sectioning which allows for complete margin control.
- The surgeon cuts ultra-thin layers of skin called a frozen section.
- The frozen section is then checked for cancer and results are available within an hour.
- After reading the slides, the specialist creates a detailed map of the tumour which directs further excision as needed.
For more information about Mohs Surgery, visit https://www.mohscollege.org/